Batesville

Previous

On July 29, 1913, the plat for Batesville was approved. At this time, the townsite was still part of the Fort Berthold Reservation, and was under the control of the U.S. government. The townsite remained inactive until the reservation land was opened up for settlement in 1916.

In 1917, the post office was moved to Batesville. At this point, there was discussion on whether or not the name of the post office should be changed to Batesville, but the old-timers decided they wanted the name to remain Roseglen.

Officially, the name of the townsite is Batesville, but very few people know this and, other than at the Register of Deeds Office, the place has always been referred to as Roseglen.

During its history, Roseglen has had various places of business. At one time, early in its history, there were two general merchandise stores, a bar, barber shop, restaurant, garage, community hall, bank, and a lumber yard, which sold all of its original stock of lumber and left.

The bank was established by W.G. Conners in 1916, and was known as the Roseglen State Bank. Some of the local people bought shares in it. When things began to slow at Roseglen, Mr. Conners decided to liquidate the bank and, in 1926, the bank moved to Minot. One underlying reason for the bank moving was that twice the vault was blown open, and the bank robbed.

Roseglen came very close to getting a railroad. Intending to add two hundred and fifty miles of track to the Great Northern Railroad, work on the railroad grade was started near Roseglen, and about four miles of track was laid before work was stopped, and the crew pulled out.

John Kerzman recalled, as published in the Golden Jubilee book, that he hauled hay up to the grade and sold it to the railroad to feed their horses. He said that, at the time, there was speculation that the railroad did this only to keep a federal land grant.