Paul Ziegler

Next

Mr. and Mrs. Paul Ziegler

Paul Ziegler was born in Michigan in 1875, and raised there. In 1898, he enlisted in the Spanish-American War. After his discharge, he married a hometown girl and, because work was scarce in Michigan, he moved to North Dakota. For about a year, he operated an Elevator at Sanborn, then moved to Underwood where he farmed until 1915, then moved to the Blackwater community, where he lived until he moved to the Reservation land.

As Paul Ziegler was not so fortunate as to draw a number for a free homestead in the Roseglen area, he rented land on the Reservation and broke the ground for farming in 1917. He bought an adjoining tract from Walter Plenty Chief in 1918, which was a bare 160-acre section, similar to a homestead except that it was not free. He began preparing it for his future home. He had a well drilled. He bought some buildings and had them moved to his land, then he built more. In 1920, he and his wife, four sons, and four daughters, moved to the land and built a farm.

In 1924, Paul Ziegler helped to organize the Ziegler School District No. 85, which later became part of the White Shield School District. For many years, this country school also served as the polling place for Ziegler Precinct No. 60.

Mr. Ziegler was active in community affairs, serving on the school board for many years. Although he never ran for office, he was active in politics, and was a member of the McLean County AAA Committee farm program, the Corn-Hog program from 1933-1939, and he helped to organize both the Farmers Union Oil Company and the Farmers Union Elevator in Garrison. He served on the Oil Company board for many years. At the outbreak of World War II, he served on the McLean County Draft Board for several years.

In 1944, he and R. Belle Loudenbeck were married. They retired, and lived in Garrison for about a year before buying a home in Minot, where they were still living in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published. He was ninety-two years old in 1967.

Three of Paul’s sons, and three of his daughters, married and established homes in the Roseglen area. His sons were Harold, who married Leona Larson and farmed the home place south of White Shield; Lynn, who married Ethel Price, and moved to the former John Erickeson farm.

His daughters were Berniece, who married Jack Klabunde, who farmed in the area; Beatrice, who married Herman Zimmerman, who farmed in the Emmet area; and Irene (Mrs. Ervin Austad), who taught school in Ryder for some time.

Two of the Ziegler children had left the community by 1967. Agnes moved to Duluth, where she was employed by Northwestern Bell, and Max moved to Bremerton, Washington.