George Johnson

Mr. and Mrs. George Johnson

George Johnson moved to a homestead in Amundsville Township, McLean County, southwest of Ryder, North Dakota, in the middle of March, 1913. He was accompanied by his brother-in-law, sister-in-law and their families, the Otto Flatelands, and the Halvor Selmensons.

His wife and mother-in-law stayed with his sister-in-law, Mrs. Nygard and family, at McVille, North Dakota until after their son, Throop, was born on March 28, 1913. On April 9th, his wife and family came by train, staying overnight at Minot. The following morning, a Saturday, they started out for Ryder, arriving by 5:00 p.m.

Curtis Peterson was in Ryder, and he offered them a ride to their homestead in his touring car. George had come to town that day with the team, so he accompanied them in the car to help get them settled, then Curtis drove him back to Ryder to pick up the team.

At that time they had their team of young gray horses, who they named Dick and Dock, a set of harnesses, and a wagon with a box. Their cow died after eating sprouted potatoes, so George bought another cow from Tom Pence for $60, which was a lot of money at that time.

Their home contained only the bare necessities: a bed that Mrs. Johnson’s sister had given them, bed clothes, table and chairs, a rocking chair that George had bought at a sale, and some other things that Mrs. Johnson had brought with her.

George earned a few dollars doing some hauling with his team, mostly from the grocery store at Old Roseglen, which was operated by John Snippen. They didn’t always have the cash, but they became good friends with John and Emma Snippen.

In time, the sod they broke produced good crops, and they had a good life on their farm. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson moved to Garrison in 1955, and George passed away in 1956. At the time that the Golden Jubilee book was published, in 1967, Mrs. Johnson was seventy-six years old and living alone in her home in Garrison.

Their children were Throop, Judith, Manfred, Blenda, Leonard, Glenn, George, and Joseph. Blenda married Lloyd Kolden, of Roseglen, and Joseph was still living on their home farm, with his family, in 1967.