Joseph Holt

Joseph O. Holt

Joseph Holt and his father, Peder P. Holt, left their home in Northwood, North Dakota, on October 19, 1916.

They spent the night in Max, and arrived at Ryder in the evening of the 11th. There they met Jim Waltenberg and, the next morning, they loaded lumber onto Jim’s wagon and proceeded to the homestead in Amundsville Township, arriving about 4:00 p.m.

They slept in a tent while they built their homestead shack. On the morning of the 13th, they had started digging the basement, when an Indian, his wife, and his daughter, came along and offered to help.

The shack was completed on October 23, 1916. Joseph’s father than returned to his home in Northwood, while Joseph lived on his land near Roseglen until he entered the U.S. Army in July of 1918. After his discharge, he lived on the farm in Northwood where he was born.

George Gist and Joseph Holt built the first cafe in Roseglen in October of 1917. It was operated by Alma Anderson of Brinsmade, North Dakota.