Bill Solberg

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Solberg

Bill Solberg left Fergus Falls, Minnesota in the fall of 1915, traveling to Minot, North Dakota in order to register for a chance to win a homestead on the Fort Berthold Reservation, which had been opened for homesteading.

In February of 1916, he received notice from the land office in Minot that his number had been chosen, and he was to appear in Minot to file on the claim on May 4. On May 1, he set out for Parshall. The Miller Brothers locaters took him over to the Roseglen area, where he found a parcel that looked good to him. It was in Deepwater Township, in McLean County, near Roseglen.

In July, he hauled a load of timber to his homestead and had a shack built for him by Peter Holderson, who did carpentry work. He then broke twenty-five acres of ground for wheat seeding the following year.

Roseglen had one store in 1917, operated by Clarence Olson, and this was where he bought groceries and received his mail.

In June of 1918, he married Hattie Hass of Anamoose. They farmed until 1922, when they moved to Parshall, where he worked at Hobson’s Cafe for over a year, and at the O.K. Cafe for three years. In 1931, he took over the A.B. Veum’s Lunch Room in Parshall. Once liquor became legal, he operated the bar until 1948, when he retired.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Solberg had one daughter, Delores, who married Del Triplett.

In 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published, he recalled that they had their ups and downs during their homestead days, but they had fun too.