Frank Dahlberg

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Dahlberg

Frank Dahlberg came to Kulm, North Dakota as an emigrant from northern Sweden in 1910, at the age of seventeen. Without telling his parents, he had written to an uncle in British Columbia asking for financial aid to cover the cost of his passage. When he received the ticket from his uncle, he went to his father and asked permission to leave.

His father granted permission, against the wishes of his mother, who felt he was too young to set out on his own. After arriving in Kulm, he stayed with and uncle and aunt for a time, then found work as a laborer on a farm, both to repay his uncle for the price of the ticket and to fulfill his own plans.

An older brother had moved to Amundsville Township in 1915. He wrote to tell Frank about the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation, which was being opened for homesteading. However, by the time Frank got there, these lands were already taken, but he heard of a relinquishment to be bought in what was now Deepwater Township, McLean County, North Dakota.

This was a homestead of someone who had lost interest in proving the claim. He met the man in Minot and arranged the deal, then catching a ride to Makoti, and walked twenty miles to his brother’s home.

The following morning, he headed out on foot to find his land, a twelve mile walk. He built his claim shack after hiring a team of horses and wagons to haul timber from Makoti. By the time he was done, he had very little money remaining. Because of this, his meals were meager, but his neighbors were friendly and, in return for the many meals they shared with him, he helped out with jobs that needed to be done around their homes.

During the winter months, after the claims had been proved up, those who could find work in the lumber camps, or in road construction, would take them in order to earn money. Before long, Frank was able to afford to buy a Fordson Tractor, the first in the community, except for steam operated machines that were used mostly for threshing.

Five years after Frank was introduced to Alphild Jensen, a school teacher who was teaching the lower grades at the Wright Consolidated School, they were married in 1929. Frank’s house had been destroyed by fire, but he rented a farm nearby and the couple lived there until 1932, when they purchased their own farm.

Frank was active in the work of the Bethesda Lutheran Church of Raub, where he was a trustee for many years. When the need for a new church arose, the pastor, Frank, and one other member, solicited the largest share of the building fund.

In the spring of 1960, their older son, Francis, bought the home place, and Frank and Alphild moved to Parshall, where Mrs. Dahlberg was till living in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published. Mr. Dahlberg passed away in April of 1964.

Their children were Francis, Duane, and Lenore.