Martin Nygard

Mr. and Mrs. Martin Nygard

Martin Nygard was born on December 6, 1889 in Walsh County, in Edinburg, North Dakota. He attended school in Fargo, and took up engineering. He also did some carpentry work, and operated steam engines in Walsh County.

Mr. Nygard married Hilda Lien in 1910, and they moved to Grand Forks, where he worked in a hardware store and later, was a bulk gasoline man. His delivery truck consisted of a wagon and team of horses.

He filed for a homestead in the fall of 1915. In the spring, Martin and Pete Holderson came by train to Parshall, then came by bicycle to the Deepwater Township area of McLean County to locate their claims.

He build a homestead shack, returned to Grand Forks for his family and belongings. They came to Parshall by train, and he hitched up his team of horses to a hayrack, all loaded with their things, and returned to the site.

At this time, Martin and Hilda had three girls: Helen, Myrtle, and Grace. During the trip, they got as far as what was known as Riley Hills, and decided to have lunch. Peter Holderson was still with them at that time, and he asked Hilda if she wanted some sauce. She said yes, and told him that hihs sauce was very good. When they got to their shack and started to unpack, she found an empty fruit jar and learned that they had been eating her own sauce.

Their first morning on the homestead, a lady came and asked if she could get some milk, since she had seen that they had cows. This lady was Mrs. Justad, the first Roseglen lady that Mrs. Nygard met.

After completing the harvest and fall work, Martin would do carpentry work, building many of the houses and barns in the area.

In 1917, Mildred was born. She was the first child born in Deepwater Township.

Mr. Nygard played a mandolin, and his wife played a guitar, so they whiled many an otherwise lonesome evening away playing tunes on their instruments. Later, when a school house was built near their home, Mr. Nygard played for several of the dances that were held there.

In 1920, they built a new home. While the work was underway, they lived in a granary. They moved into their new home in 1921 and, that year, school was held in the living and dining rooms of their new house.

Martin passed away on June 7, 1966. At the time that the Golden Jubilee book was published in 1967, Mrs. Nygard was still living in their home.