Rayder Justad

Mr. and Mrs. Rayder Justad

Rayder and Mary Justad came to Deepwater Township from Sanish, North Dakota on July 16, 1916, after having been married on May 16 of that year. Rayder had filed on a homestead in April.

Rayder continued to work in a hardware store at Sanish, for Charlie Lantz, while Mary gave up her position as a clerk in the store and post office in order to hold the claim down.

They claim shanty was built by Art Hendrickson of Raub. Mary rode her pony, Tootsie, from Sanish to her new home in one day. Rayder and Art had moved the furniture that they had just purchased in Parshall earlier that day.

Later, Rayder found a job at Snippen’s Store as a clerk. By the fall of 1916, more homesteaders were building their shacks, and Mary, who had become rather lonesome, found new neighbors who became friends.

Her neighbors were the families of Chris Hill, George Albrecht and Dan Keefe, as well as Jake Fisher, Carl Olson, Monte Perry, Andrew Kvale, Shorty Adams, Miss Christianson, Inga Olson, Sanders Solberg, and Bill Solberg, who was a bachelor at that time, and owned a Motel T, so he was able to help the ladies get their groceries.

Mary rode her pony to Raub and to Roseglen, to pick up the mail and to call on everyone, bachelors and maidens alike.

In 1917, Rayder got a position as a clerk in Sanden’s Store in Parshal and, in the fall of 1918, Mary moved to Parshall to be with her husband, leaving Paint Hill, named for the dividing line between her East and West neighbors.

On October 16, 1918, twin sons were born to Mary and Rayder, Stanton and Stanley. Their other children were Mickey and Jon.

Rayder passed away on May 12, 1937. At the time of his death, he owned the Justad’s Market in Parshall.

In October of 1940, Mary was remarried, to Hans Monson of Raub. In 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published, they were making their home in Parshall.