Albert Austad

Mr. and Mrs. Albert Austad

Anna Sophie Sagvold was born in Thoten, Norway on September 15, 1887. She immigrated to the United States when she was two years old.

A North Dakota pioneer, Albert Austad was born north of Sheldon in Cass County, about fifty miles west of Fargo, on July 30, 1880.

Albert and his brother, Lloyd, moved to McLean County in July of 1902, and filed on a homestead in Gate Township.

Albert Austad and Anna Sophie Sagvold were married on June 7, 1905, at the home of the bride’s parents at McLeod, North Dakota. A special bowery had been built for the occasion. The Reverend J.M. Ingerholm officiated, and the bride’s attendants were her sisters, Mrs. Nels Lunde of Cooperstown, and Mrs. Peder Olson of Galata, Montana. Their gowns were of blue silk. This was an all blue wedding, with the bride’s gown being of blue silk with full white ruffles, with which she wore a floor-length veil of white. Her shoulder corsage was of white bridal wreath. The bridegroom’s attendants were his two brothers, Lloyd Austad of Roseglen, and John Austad of Enderlin.

Shortly after their marriage, Albert brought his young bride of eighteen (he was twenty-five) to their home in the Roseglen area. They made the trip, a distance of three hundred miles, not by car, but by horse and buggy.

Here, they started their new life in a sod house about one-half mile south of where they were living in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published.

In 1910, they moved back to Enderlin, where they lived for seven years. Albert worked on the railroad during this time. In 1916, they moved back to their homestead near Roseglen, where they resided until retiring in 1963. In 1928, Albert built the house on the farm where they lived until 1963. After retiring, they moved to Garrison.

The Austads five children were Erwin, Louise (Mrs. Lyman Lee), Helen (Mrs. Paul Barber), Alvin, and Milton.

Albert and Anna celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on June 7, 1955, and their 60th in 1965, with an open house at the Immanuel Lutheran Church of Roseglen.