Claus Bloom

Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Bloom

Farming in the Midwest during the 20th century has passed through several revolutionary changes, and Mr. Bloom was a part of this progress, during all of his eighty-six years. He was born in Illinois, moved to Iowa as a young child, and grew to adulthood in Kiron, Iowa.

In 1903, he traveled by train to South Dakota, working his way toward the homestead lands. In the spring of 1905, he worked on the Holtan Ranch at Washburn, the continued northward.

In the fall of 1905, he bought a relinquishment on a homestead in McLean County, North Dakota, in what was to become Romsaas Township. Each fall, for several years, Claus operated threshing machines in the Roseglen area, which included the Henry Snippen machine. In the off-season, and in his spare time, he worked as a carpenter, helping to build elevators in Coleharbor and Ryder.

He broke most of his homestead land with oxen. During the noon hours, when it was too hot for the oxen to work, he would walk to old Roseglen for his mail, making the trip three or more times each week to receive important letters from Rosa Morris, of Ryder. Claus also rode a bicycle the fifteen miles to the Rosa Morris homestead.

Rosa Morris and two other hardy pioneer ladies homesteaded on three quarters of land adjoining what was the Wayne Jones farm in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published. They built their three homestead shacks right up on the line so that they could keep one another company while still fulfilling the requirements and prove up their homestead by living on their own lands. Rosa made bread for many of the local bachelors and homesteaders, including her brothers, George and William Morris.

On March 30, 1910, Claus and Rosa were married, and set up housekeeping on his homeatead, buying their supplies at the John Snippen store. Rosa moved her homestead shack to her new home to be used as a barn, and traded her homestead quarter for land near the Bloom farm.

In 1908, the Blooms helped to organize and build the Mount Zion Presbyterian Church, of which they were active members. They also organized and conducted Sunday School classes for several area children. Mrs. Bloom was also an organizer and active member of the Mount Zion Ladies Aid Society.

Mr. Bloom auctioneered at several church bazaars, basket socials, and other charitable events in the Roseglen-Ryder area. He was a board member and president of the Ryder F.U. Elevator for forty-nine years, and of the F.U. Oil Company of Ryder for many years. He also served on the school board, election boards, church boards, and was president of the West McLean Farmers Mutual Insurance Company.

Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Bloom had two children: Vern, who married Alice Price in 1940, and farmed his father’s homeplace, and Gene, who became an auto mechanic.

Mr. and Mrs. Bloom spent several winters in Arizona after they retired from farming, and celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at Mount Zion Presbyterian Church in 1960. Mrs. Bloom passed away in 1963 and, in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published, Mr. Bloom was a resident of the Lutheran Nursing Home in Minot.