Ingvald Johnson

Mr. and Mrs. John Johnson
Mr. and Mrs. Ingvald Johnson

The John Johnson family came from Norway to the United States in 1887. When they arrived, the family consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson and their five children, Andrew, Bert, Ida, Ingvald and Bernie. They first settled at Hoffman, Minnesota. From there, they came to Towner, North Dakota in 1904, and to Roseglen to take up a homestead in 1905. Another son, Henry, had been born while they were in Minnesota. Except for Henry, all of the boys were old enough to take up homesteads.

Ida remained in Towner and married August Sveum, who farmed near there. They had four children, including two boys and two girls.

Andrew and Bert took out homestead claims in Romsaas Township. Mr. Johnson, Ingvald, and Bernie took claims together, but Bernie was only able to secure eighty acres.

Bernie remained a bachelor, and worked for many of the Roseglen farmers. He was a powerful man, and his help was much sought after for jobs like digging rocks and pitching hay.

In 1910, Ingvald married Olga Abrahamson, whom he had met while they were in Towner. The wedding took place at the bride's home, near Towner. She gave music lessons, and was the the organist for Immanuel Lutheran Church from the time that the church was built, in 1915, until about 1925, only a few years before her death in 1929. In her last years, she suffered from severe headaches from a tumor that had developed on her brain.

Mrs. John Johnson passed away in 1911, and Mr. Johnson lived most of the time, afterward, with Olga and Ingvald, until his own death in 1924, at the age of eighty. The youngest Johnson boy, Henry, was an invalid in his later years, suffering from tuberculosis, passing away in 1918. During his sickness, he also lived with Olga and Ingvald, so she had many burdens during these times.

After Olga's death, Ingvald rented the farm to Clifford Hill, and started barbering in Roseglen. Prior to taking up his homestead, he had taken some barber training, and had continued to trim hair for the neighbors while living on the farm. He purchased the old bank building in Roseglen to use as a shop and living quarters, which was to come in handy later on.

Clifford Hill left the farm in the spring of 1939 to work for the Ryder Farmers Union Oil Company, and Ingvald moved back onto the farm. That fall, the house burned down, so Ingvald moved the old bank building to the farm property to use as a home. He farmed himself until 1944, then sold his three quarters to Bernt and Edward Fines. After selling his farm, Ingvald barbered for awhile in Makoti, then gave up barbering and stayed with Bernie in Garrison for a time. They both decided to move to Wilton and, in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published, they were both living at the Sunquist Hotel in Wilton.