John Haugen

John and Christine Haugen

Among the early settlers in the Roseglen, North Dakota area were John and Christine Haugen, both of whom were born in Ottertail County, Minnesota.

John Haugen filed on his homestead claim in Roseglen Township in July of 1902. That year, he built a low tarpaper shack. During the next two years, he traveled back and forth between his homestead claim and Minnesota, and Hampden, North Dakota, where his two older brothers lived. The nearest to his claim he could come by railroad to to Minot, until the fall of 1905, when the rails were extended to Garrison.

That summer, his bride-to-be, Christine Jacobsen, came to Roseglen to view her future home. She found many neighbors who were old acquaintances from Minnesota. In the fall, John built a stable near the shack, making ready for permanent occupation the following year.

On December 19, 1905, John and Christine were married at her home in Minnesota and, early in April of the following spring, they came to Roseglen. Christine's brother, Thomas, who had staked a claim south of Max, North Dakota, came with them. They loaded two railroad cars with cattle, horses, machinery, furniture and lumber. On April 10, they were switched onto a siding in Garrison, and spent the remainder of that day and most of the next unloading the cars.

About four o'clock in the afternoon of April 11th, they left Garrison, with four horses on a heavily loaded wagon. As it grew dark that evening, the wagon mired down in Douglas Creek, and they were unable to get it out. Seeing a light in the distance, they unhooked the horses and headed for it. These people put the Haugens up for the night, and the next morning they helped get the wagon out of the mud and headed once again for Roseglen.

Shortly after noon on April 12, 1906, they came over the hills east of their claim, and could see their claim amidst the others nestled on the level Roseglen prairie. The Haugens stayed only briefly on the claim before renting it to John's brother, Rudolph, while John bought grain in the Hampden area.

In 1909, a Farmers Elevator was organized in Ryder, and John was offered the manager's position. The family remained in Ryder until 1916, then moved to Elgin, North Dakota, where John purchased an elevator. In 1918, his health began to fail and they moved back to the farm.

John's health beame progressively worse until he passed away in February of 1923, having been an invalid for the last two years of his life. Mrs. Haugen was left with six children. Donnell, the oldest, was then sixteen. The others were Weldon, Margaret, Evelyn, Ruth and Doris, who was a baby. Debts had accumulated during John's illness, but they got by reasonably well during the rest of the 1920s, but times were very tough during the depression days of the 1930s. Neighbors and relatives helped them get through it.

In 1946, Mrs. Haugen bought a home in Ryder, where she lived until her death, at the age of 82, in January of 1965. She remained active up to the last few months of her life.

Donnell continued to live on the home farm until 1967, when he and his wife, the former Anna Fines, exchanged places with their son, Ronald. Ronald, who was married to LeAnn Engel of Garrison, had been living on the Oscar Oien place, which he had purchased in 1963.

Weldon married Catherine Grimes, and they resided in Bismarck, where Weldon worked as the North Dakota Motor Vehicles Registrar.

Margaret married Elmo Anderson, and taught school in Rockford, Illinois. Evelyn died in a motor vehicle accident shortly after her marriage to Clyde Ziegler, of Emmet. Ruth married Raymond Ackerman of Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. Doris married William Christ, and lived in Arlington, Virginia.