Rudolph Haugen

Rudolph and Lucinda Haugen

Rudolph Haugen came from Crary, North Dakota, where he had worked for his oldest brother, Julius, in the fall of 1905. He accompanied his brother, John Haugen, John Pederson, and Andrew Anderson. The other three had been to Roseglen before to file on homesteads. Rudolph was only seventeen at the time, so he was not eligible to file on a homestead himself.

They came from Minot with Bob Melom and Oscar Tirdal on two wagon loads of lumber, intended for barns on the homesteads of John Haugen and John Pederson. The first night, they stayed at the Alfred Mathieson place, where they slept on the floor.

They all worked with the Bailey Brothers threshing rig that fall, which was a big 44-inch cylinder, 72-inch separator machine, driven by a large steam engine. Besides the four men already mentioned, Berger Antonson and a Mr. Rickers, pitched from stacked grain into the machine. Konrad Iverson was the water hauler for the steamer.

The threshing rig ran from daylight to dark during the month of October and early November. After supper, the crew walked from Peder Kolden's to John Pederson's, a distance of two miles, to sleep, and then back to the Kolden's before daylight for breakfast.

One night the bosses wanted to finish a large flax stack before quitting, so the men decided to try to plug the machine. They pitched as fast as they could, and were about to give up, when Rudolph, Antonson and Anderson, together, rolled a big bunch from the end of the stack into the feeder. That stopped it all right, but the crew had to stay until the separator was cleaned out.

About a foot of snow came in mid-November, so Rudolph rode to Minot with Henry Snippen, driving four horses on a sleight carrying a few sacks of flax. From Minot, he went back to Crary to spend the winter.

The next spring, the spring of 1906, he came by train back to Minot. From there, he rode out to Ryder with Ed Fredeen in the mail coach, staying the night with Mrs. Fredeen in Ryder. Her accommodations were wonderful, Rudolph said.

The next day, he rode out to Roseglen with Fredeen, to the John Snippen farm, where he bought a few groceries. From there, he walked to John Haugen's shack, which was just across the road from John Pederson's.

Rudolph spent a lonely night, wth the Glennons down in the coulee as his only neighbors. Toward evening the next day, John and his wife, Christina, came with four horses on two wagon loads of supplies and machinery, trailing a cow. They had come from Vining, Minnesota in an emigrant car to Garrison. They had spent the previous night in Douglas Creek coulee, where they had been stuck with the wagons.

It would seem a dark future, coming with a family to one quarter, full of stones, with only twenty-five acres broke, to make a living. -- Rudolph Haugen

The winter of 1906-07 was a bad one, with lots of snow. Christina was expecting her first child in January. Mrs. Pete Schieley, who lived on the place later occupied by Vernon Youngs, northeast of Lloyd Pederson's, was a midwife who assisted with births in the Roseglen area. So Rudolph drove a sleigh, with four horses, to the Schieley farm several times in order to make a road.

However, when the time came to get Mrs. Schieley, on the night of January 24th, a snowstorm was raging. John Pederson walked ahead of the horses with a lantern, but when they arrived at the Schieley's, they found that she had gone to Denver to visit relatives.

There was no way, or time, to go to Ryder, so the two men went down to the coulee, southwest of Haugen's, to get an Indian woman, Mrs. Rousseau, to help. Everything went fine, though, and Rudolph's nephew, Donnell, came into the world. Rudolph said the total cost was $5.00, yet when his first great-grandchild was born, in 1966, it cost $500 to bring him into the world.

Rudolph worked with John for two years, then took over the horses and machinery, and rented the land when John moved to Ryder to buy grain. He batched part of the first year, then his sister, Clara (Mrs. Oscar Oien), came to keep house; and in the spring of 1909, their brother, George, joined them.

In the fall of 1908, Rudolph rented a quarter of land, north of the John Grimes place, from Arne Granum. The rental contract said he was not to plow in frost, but the next spring he plowed under some snow, and Granum cancelled the contract.

The first year, Rudolph didn't go anywhere, so was lonesome in Roseglen. Then one day, Ole Lunden came by and invited Rudolph to a dance at the Diamond Hill hall, which was south of where Marvin Rustad lived in 1967, when the Golden Jubilee book was published.

Ole trimmed Rudolph's hair, and they borrowed a sleigh and a team of horses from John Snippen. The boys took Velma Long, who was working for the Snippens, along, and they drove over to the Long place (owned by Dick Kerzman in 1967) to get Velma's sister, Zella.

Velma later became Mrs. L.S. Officer, and Zella married Ole Lunden.

The group t hen went cross-country to the Diamond Hill hall, where they danced until daylight. The men had to take up an extra collection for the musicians, who were Fred and Charley Olson, to keep them playing all night. Mr. and Mrs. Jourgen Jacobson, who lived across the road from the Floyd Hill farm, served lunch at the dance.

After that, Rudolph went to many parties and dances; at Blue Hill hall, east of Ervin Hopkin's, where Billie Edwards played; at the Bernt Fines school, and in various granaries around the area. In those days, they danced waltzes, polkas, two and three steps, minuets, schottisches, and square dances.

Among some of the interesting things that Rudolph remembered from those days was taking a load of flax to Garrison in sacks, where they were unloaded in an old shed. He was paid for the flax in gold, but never got the sacks back.

Going down the Douglas Creek hill with wagon loads, drivers used to chain one rear wheel to the front axle, so it had to slide. One time, Rudolph tried to save time by not doing so. The pole team couldn't hold the load and they went down the hill as fast as the horses could run. He was lucky not to lose his load, he said.

One windy day, Albin Gilbertson, who lived north of the Pederson place, rigged a blanket on the back of a buggy, and came down the road from the north, just sailing along. He had taken off the pole and fixed a rope to the front axle to steer with. At Haugen's, he picked up Bob Melom, and they started off down the coulee for John Snippens. But on the way down, a front wheel hit a rock and the whole outfit flopped over. The men landed in a barbed wire fence, and ripped their pants.

On January 4, 1916, Rudolph married Lucinda (Lucy) Pollert, whose family then lived on the quarter just east of Haugen's. Clara and Oscar Oien were married at the same time. More about the wedding appears in the Oien story.

That same year, Rudolph moved to Ryder to buy grain for the Dodge Grain Company in the farthest east elevator. Later, he became manager of the Ryder Farmers Elevator, remaining there until he retired in 1946. He and Lucy moved to Minot.

Rudolph and Lucy had three children: Berniece, Wendell and Selma. Berniece only lived a few years. Wendell later farmed southwest of Ryder, while Selma became Mrs. Lawrence Linrud, and resided on a farm north of Velva.