4-H Club

Previous

Roseglen 4-H Club

In February of 1921, under the leadership of Mr. Atkinson, a Roseglen teacher, the first Boys and Girls Club work was organized in Roseglen, North Dakota. Thirty-seven active members and eleven associate members joined in five projects: corn, poultry, baby beef, potatoes, and purebred heifer calves.

The officers of the club were: Reuben Barsness, President, Adolph Kolden, Vice-President, and Josephine Kolden, Secretary-Treasurer. A club leader was chosen for each of the four township schools; they were Paul Kolden, J.J. Hill Sr., Lee Bryson, and A.D. Stoven.

All summer long, each member worked very hard at his or her project, looking forward to a little pocket money as a result, or a prize at the exhibit to be held in the fall. This was held at the Peter Kolden farm on October 29th, and attended by more than two hundred people. C.A. Norton of the Fargo Agricultural Commission, and A.L. Norling, McLean County Agent, attended.

Mr. Norling, Frank Tschida of Raub, and C.H. Christianson, a Ryder banker, were the project judges. County Agent Norling commented that the livestock and other products exhibited were of as good, or better, quality, than in many county fairs he had attended.

In the potato project, Clifford Kolden placed first, and Earl Shea second. Olger Lunden's baby beef placed first, and Julius Lunden's second. Adolph Kolden was in first place in the purebred heifer project, while Josephine Kolden was second. For corn production, Julius Kolden placed first, Harold Rodahl second. In poultry production, awards for turkeys went first to Elvira Rodahl, and second to Howard Bryson, while Marjorie Snippen's chickens placed first, with Morris Nelson's taking second place.

This was the beginning of the Boys and Girls Club work in McLean County, North Dakota, and another first for Roseglen. It has led to a state- and county-sponsored 4-H program that has done much for farm youth.